Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Little white lies

I recently admitted that while a collage freshmen I learned for the first time that those pains I always got in my shins were not growing pains, but in fact shin splits. All those years of pain were in vain I was not getting any taller. When I realized the truth I was appalled that my mom could have lied to me. I was so innocent, so naive, so easily persuaded. I vowed I would never put my children through such horror. My kids were not going to wake up one day and find that I had lied to them, and then I had kids. I do not tell them watermelon seeds are going to grow in their bellies or that the boggie man is going to come if they are naughty, but I must admit I have used the white lie tactic once or twice. Santa worked wonders at stopping any bad behavior from a two year old. My most recent offense involves growing pains of a different kind. Sophia is well under average for weight and she is dropping lower at every appointment. We have been trying for months to help this little girl grow. The doctor has suggested we give her pediasure in hopes of putting some weight on her. She does not particularly like the stuff, (can't say I blame her it is rather chalky stuff), so I will pretend to drink it and love it. She, being the child that she is, will then beg for the straw and drink half the bottle. What can I say sometimes deception works. So while I do not condone lying in anyway, was it really that awful that I never complained of growing pains because I thought my bones were stretching and a few extra inches were worth the pain.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Ha! This made me think of the time you told me about the ocean and the cat's eyes and the phase of the moon...or something. Hahaha!
"...and then I had kids"
I find myself constantly evaluating approaches to any given situation in terms of how my parents did things, how I turned out as a result, and then I think about what I want to do at that point. Not sure if it's the best, but they had to learn and so do we.
Should we pray for Fia to get chubby?
:)

Maleina said...

Yes please :) She looks fine and is developing great in every other way. She is even getting taller she is just tiny. I always thought I'd have these big chubby babies but apparently there skinny jeans are prevalent for now.Both of my kids have grown in length and never so much in width.

N for Fila said...

LOL! That is too funny, I guess we all fall for little white lies our parents told us simply to appease. I mean, I just realized that my two thumb shapes are not due to me sucking it as a child but simple genetics. But it doesn't change the fact that for several years and I mean several like 26, I seriously thought my oral fixation was the cause of my two funky thumbs.