Saturday, April 5, 2008

No crying over spilled milk

There is defiantly crying involved in motherhood, for me there is anyway, but I have increasingly found there is no crying over spilled milk. Not to sound to cliche` or anything but you can't sweat the small stuff. Yesterday I was upstairs getting ready for the day as I listened to my kids gleefully playing downstairs. I let them be for a while longer and continued to make my bed and get some things done upstairs, I mean they sounded so happy downstairs. I only wish I had my camera as I came down the stairs because the scene was truly amusing. In the middle of the floor my son's cup sat upside down, this would not be a problem had it been empty, or of the non spill type. No, it was of the very leaky type and it happened to be full of strawberry milk. The fact that there was a huge puddle of strawberry milk spilled all over the kitchen floor was very entertaining to my children. My daughter was belly down, lapping it up and swimming in it. I had to hold back the laughter as I told them I know this seems like a lot of fun, but we really shouldn't spill milk to play in. As I was cleaning up the mess (unfortunately before I ever thought to take pictures) I thought to myself how as a mother I am leaning to not get upset over things like spilled milk. It is amazing how all of a sudden you find yourself wiping poop smears off the wall, scrubbing bright pink throw up off the carpet, and going out in public wearing your black shirt that has been used as a snot rag all day long, (not the best idea but I am guilty of doing it more then once without even noticing!) and thinking this is normal.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

HA!This is so funny! Though I'm sure cleaning it up wasn't much fun.
I know for a fact I have relaxed and lightened up a bit since my kids were born...like I've said before, maybe I'm now a little TOO relaxed.
:)

[Morgan] said...

That's awesome.
I'd admire you as a mommy, you're so great at it!

Nakki said...

I can also say I've been guilty of such before...the messing things up and playing in them. Can't blame them for something you'd prob do yourself right? j/k :)

Robyn said...

I'm glad messes aren't such a big deal now. If I couldn't let the small things pass by, I think I'd be mad all day long. Little children = mess after mess, after mess! Oh, and totally with you on the snot rag shirt! That's all I've worn this week. I can't wait for cold season to be over!

N for Fila said...

LOL! That's hilarious...the joys of motherhood, I must admit I'm a bit envious but my time will come and when it does I'm going to need the sage advice you can give me!! Too bad you didn't take a picture but I can only imagine the fun they were having, you have to admit swimming in Strawberry milk is way cooler than any old pool, you can drink it while you play!! LOL!

Staigerfamily said...

What a great mom! yum. . . strawberry milk. . . It is neat to see how our kids really are making us better people (at least i hope so!)